Abortion Risks & Effects
Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy. See the main Abortion page for abortion types and additional information.
There two types of induced abortion:
What are some of the possible side effects of abortion?
Approximately 1 in 100 women having an early abortion will have complications and 1 in 50 women will experience side effects after a later abortion.
Depending on the abortion procedure done the following non-anticipated side effects may occur:
- Cramping of the uterus, or pelvic pain
- Emotional or psychological distress
What are the risks of abortion?
The side effects from anesthesia may include:
- Allergic reactions to medications
- Problems breathing
Side effects after a surgical abortion include:
- Heavy bleeding, blood clots vaginally
- Infection—Your health care provider will prescribe antibiotics to prevent this. Antibiotics are also prescribed for infections diagnosed after an abortion.
- Infection of the fallopian tubes (which can cause scarring and increase chances of infertility)
- Puncture (perforation) of the uterus
- Scarring of the uterine lining (suction tubing, curettes, and other abortion instruments may cause permanent scarring of the uterine lining)
- Damage to the cervix (creating complications with future pregnancies)
- Death, in rare circumstances
In cases when a medical abortion fails to terminate the pregnancy, a surgical abortion will become necessary to complete the abortion.
How we can help!
Free and Confidential Services
Alternatives Medical Clinic is committed to providing the evidence-based medical care and education you need to decide with confidence how you will proceed concerning your unique situation.
While we do not perform abortions or provide abortion referrals, our services are an important first step when faced with an unplanned pregnancy. We do not make any money based on your decision and are committed to providing our Free, confidential services in a friendly, safe and non-judgmental atmosphere.
Questions or Concerns? – Make an Appointment
Request an appointment or call 760-741-9796 for a confidential consultation. We are here to help. We inform, you decide.